Target Audience: Toddlers, Children, Adults
These tasty, tasty raw snack bars take very little time to whizz up in the food processor and are excellent for snacks. They’re a sort of knock-off of those Nakd bars and can be tweaked to suit your flavour preferences.
- 150g cashews
- 200g dates (the fancy ones in the trays give you the best texture but the cheaper ones in the bags work just as well, plus you won’t need to stone them yourself!)
- Handful of raisins
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Optional: 1 tsp orange extract
- Tip the cashews into the blender and give a few pulses to get them started.
- Add the dates, raisins, cashews, cocoa powder and orange extract, if using, and process until the nuts are finely distributed and the mix clumps together. This will take a good few minutes, so do it in bursts to protect the motor and be patient – it will happen!
- Line a square/rectangular container with cling film, tip the mixture in and press flat to approximately 2cm depth. Chill in the fridge for at least half and hour, then you can remove the container and keep wrapped in the fridge, or slice into bars and wrap individually in baking paper or cling film.
- Try adding a handful of desiccated coconut or banana chips
- Swap out the cashews for almonds and add dried or morello cherries instead of raisins for a Bakewell tart flavour
- Leave out the cocoa powder and orange, replace the dates with dried apricots and add toasted oatmeal or coconut and lemon zest. You’ll need to play around with quantities to get the consistency right as apricots tend to be stickier than dates